July 20, 2012

Deja Vu



MusicPlaylist

I had a few things to talk about today.  Like the fact that I donated these jeans to my sister's thrift store . . . and then missed them so much that I took them back.  Or the two discount codes I have to offer that I got emails about.  But in light of the tragedy in Colorado, I am going to forgo that for another time.

For those of you who don't know, there was a massacre at a movie theater in Aurora (a suburb of Denver) last night in which 71 were injured and 12 died.   

Now I am not one to bask in the tragedy of others.  I remember losing friends in high school and seeing everyone freak out about how much time they spent with them when I was like "um, I was with them everyday and I've never met you."  But it just feels wrong not to mention it.

This news story (you can find out more details here) was been the topic of every conversation in the state today.  It is on every radio channel, every news channel and pouring from everyone's mouths. 

I don't know of anyone that was injured.  From what I know, all my friends and family from Aurora are accounted for.  But there were so many victims that it seems everyone knows someone that was affected. After all, the town I live in and work in are probably 45 minutes from the shootings. 

I was reminded today of the Columbine shootings over a decade ago.  I remember that day very well.  I was sitting in journalism class my senior year (just dicking off and making the time pass till graduation I'm sure) when my teacher got a phone call, stopped class and turned on the news.  We watched in horror as the events unfolded in a town, again, not terribly far from where we were with students just like us running for their lives.

I remember thinking "holy shit."  And the same fits here.  I mean, can you imagine?  You get up and go to school or stay up late to see a movie that you have clearly been excited to see and then experience one of the biggest tragedies to hit the state?

We can talk about the shooter all day long.  Clearly he is a sick, twisted fuck with no soul.  We can discuss gun control and how this incident may or may not have a huge effect on the issue.  But my concern is the victims.  The families.  The children.  

It just puts into perspective today about how short life is.  How important it is to live in the moment.  How crucial it is to give your friends, family and children that hug or tell them how important they are or how much you love them.

It's sad that it takes a tragedy to bring these important, seemingly obvious tasks to the front row, but nonetheless.  Just do it.  Because you just.  never.  know.  

  Navy Polka Dot Blouse-INC, thrifted; White Jeans-Wal-Mart; Leopard Flats-Payless; Spiked Bracelet-Kohl's; Earrings-gifted


No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs