July 7, 2013

What's in a Nickname?


I don't know about you all, but I have a slew of nicknames that have been given to me over the years.  And I love each and every one of them.

My first nickname ever came from my mom and it is Rosebud.  She has always called me that because my lips when I was a baby allegedly looked like a rosebud. 

My sister, brother, cousin and I are very close.  My mom took guardianship of my cousin when she was a teenager and she lived with us.  We each have nicknames for each other.  My sister is Peeps (long story there), my cousin is Dawggie and my brother is . . . well . . . Brudda.  But mine is Suds.  This has nothing to do with drinking.  Rather, my middle name is Sue.  So it started as Sue-Diddy.  Then just kind of got shortened to Suds. 

 When I got my best friend Matty a job waitressing with me at the Black Eyed Pea, he met my other good friend at the time, Allison.  We were a tight bunch, the B.E.P.s.  But of course, Allison, Matty and I were even closer.  We were always together.  People called Allison and I Hot Mama and Matty was Gay Mama.  Whenever we were together--which was all the time--we were just collectively The Mamas.  And we still call each other Mama to this day.

My Grandmother, though she isn't alive anymore, would always call me Bobin.  Because my real name is Robin.  My mom named me after the Robin bird--the first sign of spring.  So every spring, my Grandmother and I would look for them.  And when I found one, I would tell her "Look Gamma, it's a Bobin bird."  She thought it was the coolest thing and just always called me that. 

Somehow I also got the nickname Beano from my Dad's side of the family.  It's not what it sounds like though and I rarely speak to any of them so it doesn't so much matter but I always hated that nickname.  Because it sounds like I was given to for a gas issue, but really it is just Robin with an "o" on the end.  Robean-o.  Get it?  

So what we've learned here is that you can basically call me anything you want, as long as it is with love. 

Leather Mini Skirt-Wilson's Leather, thrifted; Grey Tank with Lace Shoulder-Mossimo, thrifted; Sneakers-Keds, thrifted; Spiked Bracelets-Kohl's; Gem Bracelet-gifted; Earrings-gifted; Mirrored Aviators-Target

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs