July 13, 2013

Summer v. Winter Photo Taking


Taking your own blog photos is definitely an experience, I should know.  This will be my third summer doing it and I've got two winters under my belt as well.  I've found there is a vast distinction between summer/spring photo taking and winter photo taking.

Lighting.  Both of these scenarios require a bit of playing around with your camera.  In the summer, the sun is really bright (obvi), so your photos can come out pretty washed out if you're not careful.  I try to do it later or earlier in the day or in the shade if possible.  In the winter, there is much less light and so you have to try to balance that out.  I try to take my photos in the winter in the middle of the day, when I can. 

Scenery.  While I personally find it debatable that winter scenery is "pretty" (yuck), some people like it.  For me, though, summer/spring definitely kicks winter's ass in the scenery department.  In the spring and summer, everything is lush and green and beautiful.  In the winter, things are slushy, dead and barren. 

Comfort Level.  In the summer, it is freaking hot (duh).  It's so hard to stand still and take your picture, run back to check the viewfinder and put on a smiley face.  In the winter, it's freaking cold (duh again).  And it is equally hard to sit still with a smile on your face while the rest of your body is frozen.  Either requires running back to your car asap for a heater or A/C. 

Locations.  In the winter it is nice because all of the possible locations for photos are usually pretty empty and you don't have to deal with the questionable general public, which I prefer.  In the summer, it is prettier, but there are also people EEEEEEERRR'WHERE.  So finding a secluded spot is much harder. 

Basically, it's give and take.  After a while you get used to it and you can make adjustments as necessary for yourself, your outfit and your camera.  One thing's for sure, even with all its ins and outs and ups and downs, I still dig it.

Black Tulle Midi Skirt-thrifted; AC/DC band tee-thrifted; Saddle Oxfords-Payless; Chain Bracelet-vintage from Grandma; Earrings-DIY and gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs