May 8, 2013

Gearing Up


Tomorrow the kids, Patrick and I are playing hooky from work and school to go see my niece perform in the Special Olympics!!!

It was actually supposed to take place last Thursday, but it got snowed out.  It's been raining here nonstop for the past few days, but apparently the show will go on regardless. 

I am so proud of my niece.  She has never limited herself.  Whenever a little kid comes up to her in her wheelchair or her braces and asks what happened to her legs, she always responds really graciously with "this is just the way I was born." 

Another round of applause goes to her parents.  My sister and brother in law have always taught Anya, my niece, that she is no different from anyone else.  They don't baby her; they make her do everything that she is capable of doing herself by herself. 

When we first found out that Anya was going to be born with Spina Bifida, we were all really scared.  It's not something that you hear about often, so we didn't know what to expect and the doctors weren't very positive about Anya's outcome. 

She has the most severe form of Spina Bifida and even though it is largely found in genes of the family, no one in our family has been born with it, so it was a big shock.  The doctors told my sister that Anya would basically not be able to do anything. 

Anya can't walk on her own--she still requires braces or a wheelchair to get around.  She will always need to be cathed  and probably be in diapers.  But other than that, she is just your average almost seven year old.  She is intelligent, loving, funny, sweet, thoughtful, active, creative and very strong willed.  And I am so very proud of her.  Go Anya!

Skinny Peach Corduroys-J. Crew, thrifted; Sweater-thrifted; Peach Kitten Pointed Toe Heels-Nine West, gifted; Pearl Earrings and Bracelets-gifted by Patrick; Trench-Donna Karan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs