April 7, 2012

A Little Bit of 90's Grunge


MusicPlaylist

I'm about to have a lot of guests for Easter linner tomorrow.  You know what that means--cleaning up the yin.  But, thanks to Pandora's Seattle Grunge station, things were much more tolerable.  And it got me thinking of what my favorite 90's bands/songs are of all time.   

First off, duh, is Nirvana.  Love 'em, hate 'em, doesn't matter.  They paved the way for 90's grunge rock.  All Apologies, Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me, Smells Like Teen Spirit--so good for the slightly-depressed-but-in-a-party-mood soul

Second, of course, was one of my personal faves:  Weezer.  I don't know how many times I listened to that blue album.  On cassette.  With headphones--not to be confused with ear buds.  Undone--the Sweater Song, Say It Ain't So, My Name is Jonas.  Perfectly chill. 

And who didn't own the Oasis CD?  Anyone?  No.  That's because you couldn't go a day without the radio playing the shit out of Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall or Don't Look Back In Anger.  And it was magnificent.

Then there were the likes of Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam.  I lump them together because I get them mixed up all the time for some reason.  But Crackerman, Better Man, Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated, Dissident, Jeremy, Daughter, Glorified G--doesn't get much more angry-teenager-listening-to-my-music-way-too-loud-in-my-room than that.

 Soundgarden.  Hello Black Hole Sun, Pretty Noose, Outshined and Say Hello to Heaven!

And who could forget Live?  Especially after that creepy video they did for Lightening Crashes *shudder*.  And what about I Alone, Love Will Lead Us and All Over You?

Alice In Chains and Tool.  I.  Loved.  These.  Guys.  I mean Tool with their electronic vibes in Anemia, 46 and 2, Sober and Stink Fist.  And Alice In Chains with their slower leading up to harder rock in songs like The Rooster, Man In The Box, Would and Heaven Beside You.

And when you were in a more blech kind of mood, what was better than a little Radiohead?  Karma Police and Creep come to mind . . .

311.  Need I say more?  Down and All Mixed Up.  Brings me back every time I hear them. 

Hello!  Green Day!  Who hasn't gotten down on some classic Dookie action like She, Basketcase, Welcome to Paradise, When I Come Around and Longview?  Nobody, that's who.   

And who could forget Jane's Addiction?  Been Caught Stealing always reminds me of ripping out of the parking lot of school on a Friday afternoon.  Oh, and Primus.  Oh, I've Shake[n] Hands With The Beef.  And I totally dug Jerry Was a Race Car Driver and My Name is Mudd.

Branching a little further from grunge into just 90's music that I will always love are bands like Everclear, Blink 182, Presidents of the United States of America, The Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20 (that's for you, Peeps), Reel Big Fish, Sugar Ray (in actuality, their actual CDs were much "harder" and cooler than a lot of their singles *pushes glasses up on nose*), Third Eye Blind, and, of course SUBLIME! 

There are many, many more musical reasons to love the 90's.  And there are a lot of bands that were HUGE in the 90's that I haven't mentioned--Bush, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Godsmack, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, The Offspring, Marilyn Manson, etc.--because they still come out with new stuff today.  And I am sure that there are many, many more that I missed.  But these guys above?  They will always have my heart.  Kinda like a first crush.

Denim Jacket-Lee; Linkin Park tee-bought at concert; Floral Circle Skirt with Pockets-Kohl's; Socks-unknown; Combat Boots-L.E.I.; Arm Party-gifted cuff, vintage bracelet from Grandma; gifted jeweled bracelet, Kohl's spiked bracelets; Earrings-DIY and gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs