December 16, 2012

Humbling


 

As I'm sure everyone else in the country, I spent Friday in shock, anger and sadness after learning about the Connecticut tragedy.  Immediately after hearing the news, I just wanted to hold my kids, hear them laugh and see their smiles.

And that is just what I did.  And I opted not to blog this weekend.  It seemed really frivolous to talk about clothes and the miniscule misfortunes I was having at the moment. We started Friday night with a yummy dinner, watching Elf and drinking hot cocoa.

On Saturday, we woke up early and started baking our little brains out.  It was our annual cookie decorating party.  There were kids, sprinkles, frosting, cookies and messes everywhere.  It was awesome.

My sister, brother in law, brother and nieces spent the night.  The adults stayed up until the wee hours laughing and reminiscing and playing board games.

Even though it was on the other side of the country and I was not connected to anyone involved in any way, I just couldn't shake the sickening feeling it left me with.

Every morning when the kids and I are getting ready to leave, it is a mad house.  This one won't get dressed, this one woke up late, this one can't find their shoes, this one forgot they needed field trip money.  It never ends.

And nearly every morning we are running late.  And nearly every morning when I drop my three kids and the neighbor boy off at two different schools on two sides of town, they all take their time getting out of the car.  And nearly every morning there are cars behind me honking or waving or getting annoyed.

And that is all that I kept thinking about on Friday morning.  How much I love my kids.  How much I take for granted the fact that I get nearly every morning together with them.  How much I take for granted what it was like to be a kid and not even know the meaning of the word "hurry".

My heart and my thoughts are with all the families affected by the recent tragedy.  As a parent, it is the worst nightmare you can imagine.  Honestly, I don't know that I could ever fathom.

What I do know is that every parent I know hugged their kids a little tighter when they picked them up.  Every parent took that extra minute to stop what they were doing, bend down and listen to the story about their daughter's friend's show 'n tell.

And even though I always love my kids and I always know how lucky I am to have them, I don't always take a minute to realize that they are kids. And, more importantly, that they won't be that way for long.

 And I hope that all of you other parents spent your weekend hugging and loving on your kids.  And spending time with your family.  And worrying less about time and to-do lists.  And just enjoyed the holiday season.  And feeling very fortunate for all of the amazing things you have in life.

Leather Dress (worn as a skirt)-Von Mozayt, gifted; Argyle Sweater-St. John's Bay, thrifted; Argyle Thigh High Socks-Kohl's; Boots-Charlotte Russe; Earrings-DIY and gifted


No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs