September 21, 2012

A Perfect Goodbye


MusicPlaylist

The very best part of the honeymoon was relaxing with Patrick.  We did a lot of adventurous stuff, sure.  But mostly it was nice to just be husband and wife.

I'm gonna be honest here.  I didn't know if I was going to come back to blogging when I left.  It's hard to explain because I never treated the blog as a job or a chore or something that I "had" to do.  I knew that the internet would survive without me and I didn't really think my blog would be missed.

I was just burned out--in the blog and in general.  I didn't realize how much the wedding planning and prep was sucking the life out of me.  I even notice it in the last posts before the wedding.  My writing was shit and my outfits were mediocre.

But what I needed was a break.  I had my phone turned off pretty much the whole trip.  We FaceTimed the kids at night with the IPads, but other than that, no texts, no emails, no blog reading or blog stat checking.  And you know what?  It was nice.  Really nice.

Before we got engaged, Patrick and I never fought.  Like ever.  After the engagement and closer to the wedding, we would get in little tiffs all the time. Not anything major, but I was stressed out.  And I tended to snap at the drop of a hat. 

During the honeymoon and every day and night thereafter, things have been right back to normal.  Even though the routine of football practices and homework and tutoring and pick ups and drop offs is still there, it's nothing like before.

A lot of people say that marriage doesn't really change anything, especially if you've lived together a while.  And that is true, to some extent.  But there is something about being married and having someone commit to you and only you for the rest of their lives that makes it just so special.

I've never been married before.  I've dated.  I've had kids with guys even.  But no one ever wanted to just be with me before and, more importantly, be with my kids.  There's something to be said about that.

Maybe it was the restriction of no make-up, no heels, shorts and casual tops everyday.  Maybe it was the break, the sun, the beach, the warm ocean.  Maybe it was the wedding and being married in general.  But whatever it was, it snapped me out of my funk.

I feel more myself than ever before, honestly.  And best of all, I know that when I don't feel like myself, I have someone there to bring me back up out of my funk.  And for that I am grateful.

Taking a break from the blog and life was just what the doctor ordered (why didn't the doctor prescribe Aruba back when I had my ulcer???).  But as good as it was . . . I missed my kiddos.  I didn't miss the chaos, but I missed my kids.

Patrick and I rounded out the honeymoon in the perfect way.  The hotel gave us a bottle of champagne, which we enjoyed in the outside hot tub the night before we left. 

We ordered breakfast in bed on our last day.  Then we got our couples massages on the beach.  Then, we went on a sunset catamaran.

Then, we took a long night walk on the beach from our hotel to the pier a mile or so away.  We spotted tons of little crabs (and one big orange one . . . creepy!).

Then we sat on the dock, watched the clouds in the sky and gazed at the stars.  It was newlywedtastic.  Then, we went to dinner at a restaurant across the hotel where a guy was playing the saxophone and trumpet like a BOSS.  He even did Wonderful Tonight (a runner up to what I was going to have my brother play when I walked down the aisle) and Let It Be (Beatles, theme and artist of one of the songs from the wedding).  Perfection.

 And, for the record, coming back just reaffirmed why I'm blogging in the first place.  You ladies were so welcoming and expressed your good wishes and just made a lady feel damn good, in general.  So thank you to all y'all that take time out of your busy schedules to stop by this little corner of my rantings and ramblings to read and express your love.  Truly.

 Jumpsuit-JCPenney; Leopard Cardigan-thrifed; Studded Wedges-Kohl's; Necklace-gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs