April 17, 2012

Brielle Sue


MusicPlaylist

Five years ago, on this very day, I was blessed with my daughter Brielle Sue.  She is the absolute apple of my eye.

I remember when I first found out I was having a girl.  I was in complete disbelief.  After raising two boys, the thought of pink and dresses was absolutely foreign to me.  I was absolutely ecstatic.  But also skeptical.  In fact, that is the second thing that I asked the doctor (first being, is she all right) after Brielle was born--"she's a girl, right?"

And boy did she make me wait. When I was pregnant with my boys, it was a cake walk.  But this little pumpkin made me throw up with everything from the smell of Chinese food to brushing my teeth.  My entire body swelled up.  I was in college and tired ALL the time.

Finally, on her due date, Brielle decided to make an appearance . . . after 24 hours of labor!!!! Seriously--Kaden six hours, Conner four, Brielle twenty-four!  But she was just as stubborn then as she is now.  So independent, already responsible and cute as a button.


So, today is a bit emotional for me.  I mean, among other things going on, my baby is turning five.  My baaaaaby.  Pretty soon she'll be in kindergarten and before I know it, she'll be on her way to college.  Do not underestimate when people tell you that parenthood flies by you before you know it.

I was so glad that it was Brielle's birthday today.  It was an all around craptastic day today.  Crisis after crisis.  Including, guess what I did today?  Broke my camera.  That's right.  My brand new not even two months old camera.

Yep.  Not fixable in store, has to be shipped off broken.  What happened?  I have no freaking clue.  I had my camera up on my tripod, as you can see.  Not so much of a breeze in the air, not an animal or person to be seen, out of harms way from branches and I turned around to take my picture, turn back and it is lens down in the dirt.  Son of a bee.

So looks like it's back to the ole point and shoot Olympus until my other one gets fixed.  Sigh. 

At any rate, after bad news all day, all was well when Brielle got dropped off by her dad at 5.  My mom, brother, his girlfriend, her daughter and my nieces came over to celebrate.

First thing we did, of course, was open presents.  I could not wait any longer to give Brielle her dollhouse and furniture.  I really hoped she would like it as much as I thought she would.

And, you know what?  She did.  And my mom got her a stable and some toy horses (this girl lives for horses) to go with it.  Heavenly!

Not to mention, we ended up with four little girls total--Brielle (5), Anya (5), Emma (3) and Juli (6), so it really worked out nicely. 

At the request of some of you, I included pictures of the dollhouse and furniture below.  I was so proud.  I am glad that we opted for flea market furniture as opposed to the plastic stuff and here's why:

1) I am so much prouder of this gift knowing the time, energy and thought that was put into it than I would have just grabbing a soon to be assembly nightmare off the shelf at Wal-Mart;

2) The craftsmanship of these pieces are to be desired.  All the drawers open with little knobs, the detailing is superb, the realness of the wood as opposed to plastic and even the little dolls just have so much more personality than pieces made in the current day.

Black Pleated Midi Skirt-Isaac Mizrani, thrifted; Brenton Striped Tee-Aeropostale; Sandal Pumps-Candie's; Yellow Snakeskin Handbag-Claire's; Red Polka Dot Scarf-vintage; Earrings-gifted; Watch-gifted; Necklace-vintage from Grandma

But you know what the best part about the dollhouse was?  When I was tucking in my daughter and she literally cupped her little hands on my face and says, "Mommy, thank you for the house."  Five years later, she still melts my heart.

See?  I found two little boy dolls just like her brothers

And one like her!


Her finished product.  I love the front sliding doors!

Not the greatest picture (stupid point and shoot!), but see how this armoire has little hangers and shelves and drawers?  And how this little fold out desk has little cubbies and stuff?  And the cast iron stove?  Love it!

The gang's all here!

Happiest of birthdays pumpkin!  Mommy loves you so much!  I am so proud of who you are and so excited to see what you'll become!  BTW, see that picture in the background?  Whoa, timewarp.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs