September 25, 2013

Changes

 It's been six months nearly to the day since Patrick and I started our vegetarian/juicing/clean eating adventure.  I haven't given an update in a while on that, so this is the perfect time.  Here's how it's going:

 When I started cooking sans bottled marinades and boxed sides (Pastaroni, etc.), it was quite an adjustment for sure.  Cooking took longer, it was more expensive and there were more intricate steps.  But I got used to it.  And the food turned out better.  Not only that, but I've noticed a massive change in my shopping habits in general.  Reading labels isn't so much of a chore anymore and I know what to really look for.

 The greatest thing, however, is the change in my family's eating habits.  Sure, they still bitch on occasion about certain dishes and they have been missing the meat (although, I have tried to start incorporating fish into our meals  . . . but I've always hated seafood so it isn't going very far there), but they've come a loooooong way.

 Patrick, who would barely touch a vegetable before this, has been vastly broadening his veggie palete.   He will gladly eat a whole salad now and has tried a lot of dishes with veggies he hates in them with pleasure . . . most of the time.  Onions are still a no go for him.

 Kaden is my very picky 12 year old who would never eat anything.  Six months after eating vegetarian, he found he loves quinoa, couscous, some tofu dishes and many veggie burgers (the sweet potato one is his fave).  Conner, my 8 year old, has always been a good eater and willing to try anything, so his habits haven't changed too much.  My daughter, Brielle (6), is still working on trying new things, but she is getting better.

 Kaden is going through that magical puberty time period and thus his skin had started to suffer a bit.  Acne sucks for sure and there isn't much to do about it as a tween other than wait it out.  But it has been significantly decreased and manageable since we started this diet.  Literally, no pills, no creams, no extra washing of any kind--just vegetables and less chemicals in his food.  Amazing.

 We won't do it forever, but I definitely recommend trying the vegetarian and/or clean eating route for any family for at least six months.  You will be amazed at what you learn and the habits you can teach your children.  My oldest son opted for a banana as a snack the other day on his own free will.  Seriously.

Suede Trousers-thrifted; Mint Blouse-thrifted; White Sandals-Marshall's; Elephant Cuff-vintage; Earrings-gifted; Belt-Kohl's

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs