November 27, 2012

Opposites


 

This post will consist of two parts.  The first part is called bragging.  So guess what happened when I picked Conner (my little genius who you may recall does sixth grade math as a seven year old) up from after school care today?

He was jumping up and down with excitement to show me this letter from the principal.  He was given an Academic Achievement Award and was invited to have breakfast with the State Senator next Tuesday!

He was so excited and proud of himself.  He called his dad, he called Patrick, he called everyone he could call.  I could not be a prouder mama of this little man.

Also, guess who made the front page of Chictopia for the first time ever?!  I know it's really lame to be excited about, but I was pretty stoked this morning.  Check it:


The second part of this post is called SOMEBODY HELP ME!  I need some advice.  Kaden is in sixth grade.  Every single year since he was in kindergarten, parent teacher conferences have been an absolute nightmare. 

He's always had problems with school--either behaviorally (in a class clown way, not a destructive, mean or dangerous sort of way), not turning in his homework and getting barely passing grades. 

I have literally tried everything with this kid.  I had teachers send home progress reports daily, I took privileges away from him for bad grades/behavior, I gave him privileges and rewards for good grades/behavior, I put him in Kumon for two years, I took him out of Kumon recently and against any and all judgment I've ever had towards the pharmaceutical industry, I even tried putting him on medication earlier this year after being told by every single teacher for the last seven years to do so and after thoroughly investigating and researching and finding the right doctors and so on and so forth.  I've talked to him on several occasions, Patrick's talked to him, his teachers have talked to him.

Today I randomly emailed Kaden's teachers to see how he was doing.  I like to keep in touch as much as possible with them.  I was expecting really good news since the last conference.  Patrick set up the Infinite Campus on the iPad and all of the grades that I have seen from him on it have been pretty good. 

But, as it turns out, the reviews were not good. His behavior is much more focused, but he is still not turning in his work.  It's not that he gets bad grades when he turns in his homework, he is just not doing it all together. 

 I am at my wits end with this.  I don't know where else to turn.  I've heard it all (fish oil, different diets, studying corners--Patrick built him one a couple of years ago, less sugar, getting books he likes, etc.) and I have tried it all. 

 So if anyone here has any ideas on what I can do to help this kid, I am all ears.  I know not all kids can be straight A students and I don't hold him to any higher expectations than to do his best.  He's a smart kid, but he's not applying that to his schoolwork.  What to do, what to do.

 Suede Skirt-Weathervane Petite, vintage; Striped Blouse-thrifted; Cardigan-Kohl's; Cognac Knotted Booties-Charlotte Russe; Briefcase-gifted; Leopard Trim Cloche-Target; Watch-vintage from Grandma; Necklace-Kohl's

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs