October 16, 2012

A Fine Line


MusicPlaylist

As I previously stated, I can't really tell you alllll about what happened at the shoot on Sunday (man, I am so bad at secrets, seriously), but there is something that has been on my mind since that I want to talk about.  Since this is my blog, I'm gonna talk about it cause IdowhatIwant!

So part of what I did on Sunday was interview the models.  I asked one model in particular what she loved most about modeling and her answer kinda caught me off guard.

She said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I'm very confident.  I know I'm pretty and I like getting the compliments."

Now, to some people, this may seem kind of arrogant, but here's the thing . . . it wasn't.  It really wasn't.  The reason that it caught me off guard was because I had been observing her behavior all morning long.  

Now obviously I don't know her in depth on a personal level, but as a spectator to this event, she was genuinely loved by all the other models.  She didn't hold herself out as someone who was above or better than anyone else in the room.  She was helping other models, giving them compliments, helping get things in order and very graciously saying her "thank yous" and giving hugs.

Honest.  She was just pure and simple being honest.  Even the makeup artist doing her makeup while I interviewed her stated "everyone else feels this way, she's just the only one that will say it."

And you know what?  I think we as women can use more of that.  Honesty.  And confidence.

As a style blogger who takes her pictures everyday and posts photos of herself on the world wide web everyday, I had to stop and think for a bit.

While a lot of people may think that style blogging is a bit narcissistic, I disagree.  I think that style bloggers do have to have a level of confidence, certainly.  I mean, you have to be confident in something to post pictures of yourself everyday--be that in your style, your clothes, your body, your writing, what have you.  You have to be confident in yourself in some way enough to open yourself up to the possibility of being scrutinized in a negative way by others (no matter who you are, it will happen at some point) and be able to take it.  I mean, no one would do this gig thinking that every comment they will get will be negative.  That just wouldn't make sense. 

And you know what?  I think we as women certainly need more of that.  We need to love ourselves.  Not just looks-wise, but be able to present ourselves in such a way that says "this is who I am, this is what I like, this is what inspires me and I am okay with that."

There is a very fine line between arrogance and confidence.  There is a fine line between honesty and narcissism.  There is a difference between fishing for compliments because of a lack of confidence and liking receiving them (seriously, who doesn't like to be complimented?  it can change your whole day to get a good, sincere compliment!).  

What's interesting to me is that I find that most arrogant people actually have very little confidence in themselves.  I find that most arrogant people are merely trying to convince themselves that they are better than everyone else.  It is a very ignorant trait.

Earlier on this day, Daryl was commenting on my "leggings" (yes, they are tights, but he's my boss . . . so I let it slide without narrative).  He said that they went very well with my dress and then he followed this up with "well, I guess that's a given.  If Robin's wearing it, of course it looks good!"  This, of course, made me feel really good and I appreciate him saying that.

It could've been this little boost of confidence that allowed the following story to unfold the way that it did whilest I took these photos about an hour later . . . 

So I had very limited time to take these photos today.  I stopped by a nearby street on my way back from lunch for a quick snapsnapsnap before meeting up with a client.  I pull up next to this truck (to my left, your right, the white one almost on the end next to the black truck) and there was a guy in it.  "Dammit," I mumble.  But the show must carry on because I had things to do.

So there I was, happily snapping away.  I finish up and head back to my car.  This guy rolls down his passenger side window and goes "so . . . you getting ready for Halloween or what?"  I don't know what he meant by this, but the sly douchey look on his face told me he was trying to insult me.  And my orange-esque tights.  Which is why my immediate reaction was "Are you getting ready to mind your own business?"  Take some.

Suede Shift Dress-Max Studio, thrifted; Shear Top-Axara, thrifted; Rust Colored Tights-Target; Polka Dot Flats-Target; Earrings-Kohl's; Shawl-thrifted; Bracelet-old

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs