July 17, 2013

Nieces Pieces

You may or may not remember, but my sister is pregnant--due the end of December.  You also may or may not remember that she is already the mother of two beautiful girls.  You also may or may not remember that the eldest of those girls was born with Spina Bifida.

Well here's a little statistic for you.  The chances of having a baby with Spina Bifida are 3.22 per 10,000 births.  So having a child with Spina Bifida, especially without having it in your family, is very low.  But once you have a baby with Spina Bifida, the odds of you having subsequent children with Spina Bifida are 1-5 out of 100.  That's a big jump.

So with this baby, as with her younger daughter, my sister has to be tested for stuff really, really early on to make sure that the baby is developing as it should.  Well that same test she has to take at 10 weeks or so can also tell the sex of the baby.  So she wanted to do a first ever gender reveal party.

My sister has pinatas at every single gathering (seriously, I don't get it but she does).  So I told her to have one for the gender reveal party and have it rain either blue or pink decorations.  We were supposed to come in blue or pink to choose a side but I jacked that up because we had gotten back from our road trip to Cali at 6:00 a.m. and forgot to dress me and my family in pink or blue.  Nonetheless, above is the picture of the fam damily--those who thought it was a boy are on the right (i.e. almost everyone) and the girl side is on the left (me, my daughter and my niece Emma). 

Here is my younger niece Emma taking a swing at the pinata.  She's bashful. 

And my older niece Anya when she found out she was having ANOTHER sister!!!

IT'S A GIRL!!!! 

I am so uber stoked to be right having another niece!  That does, however, make for four nieces (Anya, Emma, Brynn and Kylee) and only two nephews (Avery and Bryson).  Nonetheless, I get to throw the cutest little baby shower ever in the next few months.

The arrival of this newest bundle is very exciting but it is also a little bittersweet.  I am so happy and excited for my sister and her family.  And I love kids--especially mine and my nieces and nephews.  But I can't help but recall that I am supposed to be pregnant with my sister right now. 

I knew it would be hard to watch my sister's belly grow and starting to feel the kicks and think of names and have baby showers and anticipate a future sibling for her daughters.  And it kind of is sad.  But I am also very happy.  Because this is the way it was meant to be.  And I get to be covered in little girl love and pretty little lacy socks Auntie style.  And that makes me feel a lot better.

Black and White Striped Dress-Merona, thrifted; Leopard Print Belt-Target; Leopard Print Heels-Target; Black Floppy Hat-Kohl's; Pearl Earrings-gifted by Patrick from Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs