September 28, 2012

Goodwill Hunting


MusicPlaylist

My very good e-friend Lynne of Practical Paralegalism is hosting a Goodwill Goldmine Party on Monday!  Not only do I heart Lynne in a big way (paralegal sisters for life yo!), but I also love this idea because I heart thrifting. 

That was a lot of heart-ing happening, I know.  But I really do.  Especially Goodwill because they have their half off Saturdays and it does me in.  every.  single.  time.

(unrelated to thrifting but I found this necklace at Target last night.  It is the initial of my new last name!  And today was a good day to wear it because I officially got my name changed today!  Woop woop!)

So for today's post, I thought I would do an ode to thrifting and why I love it so much:

First and foremost, you can't beat the price.  Obviously.  I mean, this J. Crew orange tweed blazer that I am wearing today?  In the store and brand new it was probably over $100.  At Goodwill?  I got it for $12.

The finds can't be beat.  Sure there are your run of the mill, unsalvageable 80's denim jumpers that nearly every grade school teacher on the planet donned at one point or another, but if you do some digging, you can resurface some major gems. 

I consigned these vintage, new with tags, high waisted, wide leg sailor pants last year and they are too date my favorite find yet.  I have worn them to death and I don't see that letting up any time soon.  Perhaps it is due for a Threesome Thursday feature . . .

I'm a downright hippie, so the recycling and reusing factor of thrifting really makes my heart go pitter pat, ya know?  I mean, imagine if all the clothes that thrift stores and consignment shops have in stock now were just thrown away???  Ugh.  I shiver at the notion.

Uniqueness.  There is a very, very slim chance, when you buy and wear thrifted clothes that someone else will be wearing the same thing.  I personally hate going into a department store and realizing I am wearing something off of a mannequin or worse the same thing as someone else (gasp!).  

 The deals that thrift store offer (above and beyond their already low prices) are unparalleled to any department store.  Half off days, bogos, fill a bag for $10, all clothes for $1 . . . I've indulged in them all and I'll tell you what.  I love Kohl's but the thrift store beat the pants off of any 30% coupon I get in the mail from them any ole day.

Some people can't do the thrifting thing.  Some of the aspects of thrifting are hard to get over.  Yeah, the store's gonna smell.  Yes, you may have to ward off children and old people and new-to-the-scene hipsters.  Yeah, the clothes are used and some of them have stains on them that you are not sure you want to know where they came from.  The hunt is long and tedious.  You literally have to look at every piece in the store sometimes to find a good one.  But for me, I love it.  And I'ma do what I do best.  And that, my friends, is find the diamonds in the rough.  See you there.

  High Waisted Wide Leg Sailor Pants-vintage; Orange Tweed Blazer-J. Crew, thrifted; Polka Dot Tank-gifted; Black Patent Leather Peep Toe Heels-Mossimo; Necklace-Target; Earrings-gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs